Submenu

Katlakalna church The new building of Katlakalna church constructed by building master and architect Christoph Haberland was finished in 1794, during the golden age of the so called 'burger classicism'. It is the last and the most elaborated from the structures designed by the architect. As noted by art historian Imants Lancmanis, the idea of Roman Pantheon has been repeated in miniature - the church is a cylindrical building, covered by spherical cupola, corresponding to the size of the Pantheon's light opening (oculus). The thickness of the cupola is just one brick, tied with circular iron ties. The most visible alteration is the renovation of the lantern, which together with the cross can be seen from the other side of Daugava. Originaly the cupola was crowned by the brick lantern, depicted in drawing by J.C.Brotze in the facade drawing from 1791. The brick lantern fell down in 1802, when the strom tear off the roof and the water began to flow into the church. Since then the cross was placed just above the cupola, but the church during the course of time was hidden by the trees. The lantern is restored in its historic appearance, supported by newly designed bent steel beam overturned 'basket'. The restoration project was elaboration with SIA 'Pirmais princpips' and architect Aldis Apšenieks. The works included change of the roof covering and insulation, restoration of the facades, doors and windows, interior finishes furnishings and floors, modernization of electricity and heating.
Author: Artūrs Lapiņš

Client: Evangelical Lutheran Parish of Katlakalns

Address or location:
Katlakalns, Ķekavas novads

Technical information:
2008-2014

Commissioning:
2016

Contractor:
Atbalsts JI, Restaurators

Main subcontractors, partners:
Aldis Apšenieks, Aigars Fridrihsons, Juris Kalniņš, Aldis Apšenieks, Aigars Fridrihsons, Juris Kalniņš, Kristaps Cepurītis

Author of photos:
Artūrs Lapiņš

Partners