Restoration of Chapel of Berzi cemetery

The Chapel of Berzi cemetery (monument listing No. 2840) is situated in the present location since 1920. The construction history of the Chapel commences in 1791, where octagonal Chapel of Jesus Heart was constructed in Zosuļi. During the architectural investigation it was suggested, that originally it might have similarities with Dubna chapel with several gables and antechamber. By the beginning of the nineteenth century the parish room has been added, decorated with the gable supported by four columns, neo-classical style doors and fan-shaped transom light. In 1920 the chapel has been relocated to Berzi cemetery and reconstructed, loosing part of the original details. In the course of time, the chapel has sunked int to the ground of the cemetery, not only altering its proportions, but also damaging the lower crowns of the log construction. Four years ago by commencing of the restoration, the critical technical state of the structure was found. In 2017 the dismantled chapel was reassembled, using as much of the original details as possible. Although the complete reassembling of a historic structure is not a typical approach, Bērži chapel has preserved its authenticity through the use of traditional building tehnologies and materials - log construction, reuse of wooden siding and hand-forged nails, wooden red-tinted tar roof, lime materials, clay screed etc.Because of the used materials, the now-rather fresh image of the building will cover with patina and will subtly merge with the original.

Author: Artūrs Lapiņš; engineers Māris Bēnfelds, Ģirts Pavlovs, architectural investigation Vija Stupule

Client: Balvi municipality

Address or location:
Balvu novads, Bērzpils pagasts

Technical information:
2013, 2015


SIA Warss

Author of photos:
Artūrs Lapiņš